The Flood

The ice on the Yukon is slowly starting to crack and shift. Water is filling atop and then sliding under to meet the rush of the force headed to the Bering Sea. I don't like this part, the floods. They don't reach my home, but when I peer off to the south side I see that the banks have overflown and water has rushed into the landscape. It's a sad fact of mother nature that the wildlife on the other side will have a long fight ahead of them. As the water nears their ankles, the sad rabbits, moose, and even fox will begin the excruciating battle they are about to face. As the water rises, panic sets in. I've seen it strewn on the faces of newborn calves, of mother moose that try so desperately to flee but are caught away in the rush of overly powerful waters.I wish I could save them, spare them the fight. The swim and try until eventually fatigue overtakes them... and their story ends in on swift movement of mother nature. She's cruel, you know. They say people and guns are horrible. But the games mother nature plays could easily break a cruel human's heart.