First Few Greens

I don't want to change the landscape, I love it just the way it is. But my green thumb is overly ambitious when it comes to this uninhabitable tundra. So today my darling took me to the top of a hill where a grove of alder and willow bushes sat quietly in the sun. And we planted ten black walnut trees. Whether or not they will grow is really unimportant. I wanted to put them in a place where children will see them, be able to watch them grow, and eventually be blessed with the yummy knuts they drop to the ground. Mother nature must have been pleasently surprised because as we walked around exploring, we came across two servings of wild spinach- just there, awaiting our arrival so that we make pick them and eat them tonight. So we got down on our knees and scavengered the ground for little bits of green. I can't help but chew on fireweed shoots- they're savory and my stomach adores them. So inbetween cutting bits of spinach I filled myself on fireweed. I can't help but believe that such a wonderful little hunger-filling adventure was a blessing from the earth. A long winter without greens is quite depressing, but tasting the first few fresh shoots is worth the eight months wait.