The Homestead's Description

I haven't truly taken a moment to literarily depict my new homestead. My cabin. My house on the banks of the Yukon River. It's about a mile's walk from the village. It sits at the end of a dirt road. To the south lies the mighty and wide Yukon. To the north is a steep hill, leading to the top of one of the first mountains hills inland from the Bering Sea. To the west, lies the road that takes me to the village. And to the east lies a thick never-ending grove of alder trees.

The house itself is small, very old, made of plywood walls and a tin roof. It's three rooms. A kitchen and living room area makes up the largest portion of the house. In the middle of this room sits our woodstove. And off from the room, in the back of the house, lies one bedroom and a bathroom. Alas- there is no running water here, so our bathroom is simply an attached outhouse. But it works ideally for us.

The backyard features a wood-burning steam house, where we bathe. A smoke house and fish rack where we prepare and store meat for the winter. And a fenced running area for the dogs. The western portion of the yard is dedicated to my garden- as well as a grove of wild-berry bushes and tundra tea. A few edible greens also grow there in the spring. On the east side of the yard sits three old boats, of which the last owner left. As well as a worn down camper. They may look junk-like to some. But I admire them. They're old and weathered and tell many stories.

The home, for the most part, is quiet. Many birds are nesting here now. The river keeps me constantly company with it's waves. Everything about it, is perfect for me. A mansion could not even begin to compare from the solitude and peace I receive from my humble abode.