Woodstove Swallow

For the last two days I have heard a rustling in my woodstove. I dismissed it as breezes taunting my chimney, but after two days of the cats looking up with curiosity- I myself became curious. With the help of my darling, we dismantled the stove, and out from the pipe shown the bright blue wings of a swallow. The poor thing was covered in soot. It's eyes were permanently closed. It was light and weak. After a few gentle dousings of water, though, it slowly opened it's eyes, and then began to demand it's freedom. Within only 10 minutes of washing it clean, it was ready to fly again. So out it went- to the morning sky. I felt so lucky to have helped the little darling. He seemed so thrilled to finally be beyond the confines of a wood-stove pipe. And the little darling has now blessed me with his company just beyond my kitchen window.