Being The Better Person

I'm good at raising white flags. I can't fight battles against people who love starting wars. Because that's not who I am. I'm not a fighter. I wish I was. I wish I could find the courage to tell people to be kind. But the only times I find myself able to stand up to harsh words- are when the words are directed at someone else. I'm magnificent at standing up for others. But when it's my own heart that's been broken, I rarely have the power to defend myself. It leaves me dwelling on ways to get revenge, only to realize my heart is too kind and my life too busy for me to go through with any evil plan. So I am left soured and defenseless. Eventually I have to forgive, and typically I'll often forget. And although I find this habit terribly inconvenient in times of heated words- I find it a blessing that I tend to come away from these instances looking as the better person.