A Working Smile

Yesterday I walked into a door. Yes- I know, it's most certainly a big event. But in all reality it was a big event. When I was sixteen I was paralyzed in the left side of my face for some unknown stroke-like reason. It took a year for me to recover- and it was a painful painful experience. Even at that point it hurt to smile, my eye squinted when I smiled, I couldn't move my cheek, forehead, or nose. Things remained that way until yesterday. I was running through my home, as a five-year-old child at heart would run, and smashed my nose into a doorway. A loud crack came and immidiately my eyes filled with tears. My darling ran over, mortified of the bloody mess that was doomed to come from such a loud crack. But when I pulled my eyes away... there was no blood. When I went to look in the mirror I noticed something unbelievable. I could smile without an ache in my cheek. I could move, stretch, muscles that had priorly been left unattended for the last four years. And now I can feel. It's amazing. I can smile without pain. I can... do things. Things every other person takes for granted. And I'm completely in love with my new found facial expressions.