Freedom vs Love

Coho's grown her own mind. She's an adult dog now, she doesn't need me anymore. And she showed me that today when she escaped from her harness and ran away. I called for her three different times when I caught sight of her. She didn't come once. She was so happy to be free that she completely ignored me. I let her run on her own every day. I feed her, love her, spend thousands of dollars on the very best for her. And today she said she didn't need it anymore. I spent all day crying, running around the village trying to bring her home. I finally watched her go around a corner, snuck the other way, and captured her. She faught the entire way back to my cabin. I wasn't hurting her- I had her picked up nicely, but it didn't matter. She didn't love me anymore. When I got inside I was so frustrated I picked her up by the skin on the back of her neck and threw her down. Then I knelt beside her and pushed her as hard as I could. Immidiately she rolled onto her back and whimpered- showing her submissiveness. And I cried. It's the first time in my entire life I've ever laid a hand on my dog like that. And it broke me into a million peices. But her absence of love for me today broke my heart even more.