Summer Surprises

Lately, I have been anxiously awaiting summer. Surprisingly not for the wildflowers, or the sound of the creek in my backyard, or even the chatter of the birds. Rather- the children. In the summer I host free activities for the lovely youth of my village. Many families cannot afford to feed their children three meals a day. The school, typically helps with that. But once school is out the children are left to fend for themselves. That's where I stepped in. I buy snacks and quick lunches and feed the kids three times a week. I also set up a pool (the first this village has ever seen) and let the children play. Last summer it was quite an exciting event. I dearly loved the constant screaming and giggling of children. I've missed it this winter. And I cannot wait to surprise them with the much larger pool I purchased for this year. A wonderful lady named Sylvia, donated enough towels for each of the kids to use! Most parents cannot afford towels to let their kids bring swimming, so this was such a blessing. And I have purchased many many pool toys and snacks to fill the warmer days. I am awaiting the weather to warm, very impatiently. But can you blame me? The company of children is a very hard thing to wait for.