Kinds of Salmon

Fishing has been slow this year, and quite late. Typically the first of the salmon will run upstream to spawn starting mid to early June. But this year the dwelling winter weather and seemingly endless ice kept them in the Bering Sea until late June. Finally they seem to have arrived and our nets are being filled with much needed winter food. Currently Kings and Chums are in the river. Kings are large, and prized- and fighters if I do say so myself. Chums are smaller, but so so sweet. They have the nicest auras about them. And then there are Humpies. We don't fish for humpies. They are small and pink and have a large hump on their back- hence their name. But I like humpies too. They don't really look nice.. or pretty. But in their own little way they're quite beautiful. But soon all of these will pass too. And our river will be greeted with Cohos. For now we spend multiple hours on the waters collecting what we can. I like meeting the fish, and I like the scenery, and I like the work. It's a summery thing here, and it's perhaps the most summertime thing I will experience this year.