Searching 1961 Archives

I have discovered the modern home of the Tuscaloosa News Paper. If only I could travel to the south and drift through their archives for myself. But alas, my coins are of few and my ice fishing adventures do not await me down there. So instead I sit here and wait for the contact whom can help me explore the mystery of the 1961 medal further. I am hoping I can find it's owner by searching through the winners of the races during the year 1961. My first choice was to contact the new Tuscaloosa News and see if they have record of it. I have yet to hear any reply. So if they cannot find the such thing I am searching for then perhaps a local library in the area could answer my questions. It's quite an entertaining search. You know, my father's side of the family is from that area. Perhaps this medal found its way through the hands of many people, just to come home to the heir of it's original owner...