Sewing Seal Skin

Today, I experienced the act of doing something that few white Americans will ever have the chance to do. I sewed seal skin. It’s illegal for a white person to possess seal skin, unless it has been made into something by a native. My bright blue eyes and light blond hair hold no error for the judgment of my race.  Needless to say, I will never hold the chance to create my own seal-skin item. But, I did happen to drift across a very worn pair of seal-skin slippers. As we all know, I truly adore old things. And so I took these ragged old things into my home. There were many holes and tears. The leather is old. I believe they were created from scrap. For many different kinds of seal are used. And I find them beautiful. So instead of letting them waste away, I refurbished them. I grabbed my dull needle and old thread and sewed them up. They don’t look new. The fur is still shedding and they kind of smell of urine. Fortunately I don’t quite mind, and I’ll wear them nevertheless. I’ll wear them until even their refurbished soles give way to my wooden floors. And I’ll remember them for the action they gave me. The act of doing something, typically only my Eskimo neighbors could do.