Feeding The Smallest Baby

The little vole finally began to suckle on the 'bottle' today. It's so very fragile, but eager to eat. It wakes up and cries about once an hour. I pull out a small syringe, fill it with some warm formula, and we're ready to go. The little thing crawls up into my hand, I light wrap my fingers around it to direct its head, and then it finds the syringe on its own. It suckles for only a few seconds. But it's so small that even a few big gulps will fill it up. I give it a light tummy massage and let it snuggle into my lap for a nap. When it's hungry it awakes again and begins to cry to let me know it needs some food. It's a habit that I've come to love. And the little happy chippers of the tiny baby when it's full, right before it falls asleep, is worth every hour spent in its company.