A Freedom of Opinion

I don't believe in being rude or cruel. I believe in having poise and grace and kindness even to those who may not stand the straightest around me. I believe in giving children and animals my entire heart- and every person I meet a portion of it. And yet, I often feel attacked or taken advantage of or even drained by other's energies. Trust me, I am nowhere near a perfect soul. Some nights I come home and punch a pillow just to keep my sanity, and then turn around and smile sweetly at the person who made me do such a thing the next day. And there are so many of them. So many people who say things without thinking- subconciously hurtful things. There are people who will willingly take you down, only so they can use you as a stair to climb up to their pedistal. And people who will never do a kind thing, but expect respect merely for being mean and demanding. Those are the people I will never understand, never know how to change or influence. Because I, myself, will keep an opinion secluded forever just to spare a single soul's feelings. And I often think that if perhaps we all started realizing that a freedom of speech also gives us the right to have a freedom of our own inner opinion (that need not be spoken) we could all live peacefully- not hatefully.