Learning Life Lessons

Adults often speak to me as if I am their age. People often forget I am merely two years older than a legal child. My mind is still growing, my stupid decisions are still accumulating, my heart is still niave and wild and yet to go a certain direction. I've had people at forty years of age insult my lifestyle. I've had ones at fifty judge my actions as if I am too mature for such a thing. I've had people old enough to be my mother publically humiliate me for the sake of their own values- but not mine. If you do not like the life I live, do not live it. Preaching to me the path I should walk will not make me change direction. I am young. I may be mature, I may have more responsibilities than most. I believe I make decent decisions- I do not drink nor smoke nor practice sex freely. But I still have an innocence and stupidity and often times complete and utter faith in something unworthy of my heart. But I am young enough to learn my lesson, to experience my mistakes, and to make my own virtues rather than have every one taught to me. So before you treat me as though I am a generation older, remember I am still young enough to experience life for what it is- the good and the bad- without your ideals on what is appropriate. I will learn them on my own time, and it will hurt and I'll wish someone would have warned me. But deep down I'll know I learned a life lesson for what it was- a part of my life- which makes it much more meaningful than a few words someone told me once.