Heartbroken For Them

Well, of course Santa came. It was a bittersweet experience. To watch two children open gifts from a character whom they had always assumed ignored them was... kind of unexpectedly heartbreaking. They were shaking from excitement. They were silent, speechless I suppose. They didn't know what to do or what to say. For the longest time they had always thought Santa was just a cartoon on television around Christmas time. And now, all of the sudden those doubts they had are a reality. They're always so comfortable at my house, but today it seemed foriegn to them. They were unsure, skeptical, almost in a way frightened. I don't know why I feel bad- I know they loved the gifts. But... I suppose I can't help but pity them for having never experienced the joy of a Santa Claus gift before. In a way it tears me up in side. How could it not? One of my dearest childhood memories was nonexistant to them for eight years. It wouldn't be right of me to not feel wrong about that.