My Longest Post

As luck would have it, I locked myself out of my house a few days ago and within an hour froze to the point I decided I would have to swallow my pride and walk down to my neighbors. The ones who own Riley- who I have come to learn is a girl and also is in the hands of a very responsible ten-year-old. I feel much better about that. I have also accumulated two more very dear friends. They are ten  and eight years old, and are the sweetest girls you have ever met. They spent a majority of the week visiting me- making crafts, baking cookies, adventuring through the many treasures of my caravan.

And last night, on Christmas Eve, fate stepped in, in a way I least expected. Now first, you must know, I am an elf- one of Santa's helpers. There is no one more loyal to the ole' Mr. Claus than I- even though I am neither Christian nor a Christmas Celebrator myself. You see, Santa Claus is merely the act of doing good things anonymously. The jolly fellow means that one can and should do things not for recognition or pride, but simply because they want to do so. And that- my dears- is something I undeniably believe in. And even so, amongst all of the giving Spirit that Santa has blessed me with- I have always dearly wanted to watch a child open one of the gifts. Doing good things anonymously doesn't give much room for watching- unless of course I peered through the window in a very creepy manner.

But yesterday the two little girls whispered to me a secret. They believed in Santa even though he had never left them gifts. And well, of course, I am an avid believer as well and I just couldn't fathem the idea of them not getting gifts. So we baked cookies, left milk, wrote notes to tell him we believed, even made crafts for Mrs. Claus and the elves (their idea). And tonight I wait... on a very special Christmas Eve, with the very special belief that Mr. Santa Claus himself will bring his jingle bells and reindeer to my home tonight. For the girls will be checking in the day after Christmas and I sincerely hope they find their cookies replaced with something special.