Bye Bye Furnace

Well, as if my excitement wasn't already on high- last night we ran out of stove oil (our heat). Remember, it's -40 F outside right now. Just a trip to the Post Office causes frost bite. So obviously my darling felt horrible. The fuel truck in town broke down (that delivers this much needed item). And one must have a lot of patience to live out here, because nothing ever gets done on time. So, obviously that truck is never going to get fixed. Hand delivering stove oil is a tough feat to accomplish. So we didn't accomplish it in time to spare ourselves a dead furnace. Luckily, we have a woodstove. And so the fun of 2012 begins. If this is the end of the world and everything goes dead- I'll be experienced in the living-without department. So I'll survive just fine. I'm already living without heat and running water. So if the ancient predictors of the future are correct and rural Alaska is spared the wrath of mother nature- I feel like I could really make a good life for myself. I already garden, gather, hunt, and fish most of my food. My banana trees may not survive, but my potatoes and salmon will never run out. Not to mention it's kind of sweet to curl into the body of my darling next to a woodstove for bedtime. I think I almost prefer it over an actual bed with a running furnace.