Laughing Ancestors

Fixing water pipes in rural Alaska can go one of two ways. Surprisingly well or expectedly bad. Obviously, we had what was expected. And everything went south. Right when we finally melted down that -40 degree ice in our pipes came a flood that is never fun. Allll over the bathroom. There were a lot of lovely curse words exchanged. Some panic-y sorts of running for tissue, towels, and bowls. Nothing humbles one down like cleaning sewage on your knees. I almost feel exposed- like that was a certain part of me that my darling should have never saw. He's seen me at my true worst, but this... well this was just disgusting. I'm fairly sure he won't be able to exchange a kiss with me and enjoy it for, at least a week. I feel, humbled to say the least. I feel exhausted. I feel like 2012 is starting in a way that is a comedy act for the angels that watch over me. I'm sure my ancestors who never had running water are smiling big watching me lose all dignity over so-called 'modern day conveniences'. They seem much more like inconveniences in this remote setting. I've decided to just rid myself of running water- it's too much of a pain. I'd rather handwash clothes than have this entire ordeal occur ever again. Hello, my name is Lone Alaskan Pioneer. I hate running water and you would too if you were me.