Weaving Willows

Now is the ideal time to pluck willow branches. They're hybernating for the winter and their wood is of perfect texture. So I've ventured into my backyard- where willow is thick- and plucked a few short sticks. I bring them inside, shave them into a few long strips, and begin to weave. It's not so much an art. Your hands do a majority of the work and the end result doesn't necissarily have to be perfect. Imperfection is just as beautiful, especially with baskets. And shaved willow branches make some of the prettiest whicker baskets. It's an experiment I attempted last year. For I had never really participated in basket weaving before. But I must say, it's become a lovely pastttime of mine. I bring my outdoor timber inside. Once I've weaved them, I'll let them sit for a while until they dry. It's really quite fulfilling. And once the deed is accomplished I'm blessed with a nice little carrier for the summer berries I so dearly love to pick.