Sitting On The Bow

I sit on the bow of the boat while fishing. I feel freer there. I'm not so trapped in the metal sides. I let my rain boots dangle over the edge and skim the surface of the river. I hold the dip net usually in my right hand, to the northward side of the boat. It's nice, peaceful. I'm not looking at the other fisherman. I'm sitting in my own spot, facing away from their company. My company is not the fellow fisherman, but the river itself. The waters. The sun. The soft and constant breeze that ripples through the waves. Those things are my company. My friends. My fishing companions. And they tend to bring me the best of luck. As my bow-seat tends to cause disapproving comments from the other fishermen. It's a technique not widely used. And yet, every day- I equally match their catches, sometimes exceeding them, and always prove their comments pointless.